One sad thing though may be the fact that Manny could have a patsy for his next fight. Humberto Sotto doesn’t deserve being of the ring with the existing No. 1 pound-for-pound. It’s actually a brilliant move on the part of Dela Hoya camp to state ‘No deal’. The king of pay-per-view will secure his place in the sport among the most exciting fighters ever. Although the deal is still in the negotiation table, boxing fans should now become more realistic. The mega-fight will not really take place after all.
- A year earlier, Arum had left the Justice Department, where one of is own assignments have been to pursue government tax claims, including one against the proceeds of a 1962 Floyd Patterson-Sonny Liston championship fight.
- Of course, Oscar knew thatPacquiao deserves equal sharing but, obviously, it’s section of his idea to call the game off.
- never met, the wife of one of Arum’s lieutenants.
- “I’m always the favored fighter to win,” De La Hoya said, ticking off the low odds usually listed next to his name.
- “The matador,” one smitten woman sighed, holding a child in her arms and dreamily swaying to a salsa tune pulsating through her headphones.
Palomino would lead off, but often Benitez could have the final answer in exchanges. At 20, Benitez moved around challenge 29-year-old Carlos Palomino for the WBC welterweight title at a baseball stadium in San Juan. Napoles announced his retirement afterward, never fighting again.
Bindi Irwin Posts Adorable Family Photos As She Shares A Sweet Tribute To Her Daughter
He would visit every once in awhile over the next decade, staying just long enough for a casino game of tennis or perhaps a meal. I met Dionne Rousseau (College, ‘85) in nov 1982 through Amnesty International. We took Macroeconomics together in the Spring and started dating May 1983. We’ve been “going steady” every since and were married in 1989.
Monitor your inbox for the most recent boxing news, highlights and exclusive content from PBC. There were signs that, at 33, Whitaker might be fading. Three months prior to the De La Hoya bout, Diosbelys Hurtado dropped him twice before the champion stormed back again to brutally knock the young Cuban out in the 11th. Mixing speed with exceptional ring craft and defensive skills, he was perhaps never quite as big a star as his ability should have made him. De La Hoya, 24, was a box office draw who had defeated Julio Cesar Chavez the previous year. It proved to be an exciting 15-round encounter, a lot of it fought at close quarters, with little holding.
1 Match For Patsy Harris In Midland
Donegal, with elite sportspeople at this level, is in many ways linked so strongly by the city in which we live and by who we have been. I talked to the former Irish boxing coach Billy Walsh yesterday evening here in the food hall. Sinead had a fire burning within her to be an Olympian.
- He would visit from time to time on the next decade, staying just long enough for a game of tennis or perhaps a meal.
- Today, the explosion that fans have been waiting for happened.
- De La Hoya’s plan was to create Sturm over from Germany as his patsy, take his lightly regarded WBO title and setup the September fight
- Leonard have been idle for three years before taking the middleweight crown from Hagler.
the promotion for a fight that promoter Bob Arum predicts may be the richest non-heavyweight fight ever. “I am the true champion. He got the win because he’s a big name.” “There’s no way he beats Bernard Hopkins fighting like he did tonight,” Mike Tyson said. “If he does he’s going to get his head knocked off.” “This fight is Oscar’s biggest challenge and he has the opportunity, yes, as the underdog, to etch his name in history,” promoter Bob Arum said. At stake for the very first time in the fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas will undoubtedly be four titles — De La Hoya’s WBO belt and Hopkins’ WBC, WBA and IBF crowns. “I’m always the favored fighter to win,” De La Hoya said, ticking off the low odds usually listed close to his name.