In today’s digital age, gaming has taken over as the favorite pastime activity of many. With millions of gamers worldwide, it’s no surprise that the demand for gaming accessories such as gaming chairs, keyboards, and headphones has skyrocketed. However, one aspect of gaming that is often overlooked is the effect it can have on our eyesight.
As gamers, we spend hours staring at screens, which can cause significant strain on our eyes. Continuously shifting our focus between different shapes, colors, and movements also puts a tremendous amount of pressure on our eyes, leading to a condition commonly known as Digital Eye Strain (DES).
What is Digital Eye Strain?
Digital Eye Strain is a term used to describe the ocular discomfort that is caused by prolonged use of digital devices. Symptoms of DES include dry eyes, headaches, blurred vision, neck pain, and eye fatigue. According to the American Optometric Association, people who spend more than two hours a day on digital devices are likely to experience some form of Digital Eye Strain.
The Impact of Blue Light
Blue light is a high-energy visible light that is emitted from digital devices such as smartphones, laptops, and monitors. Overexposure to blue light can lead to retina damage and cause other eye-related problems. One effective way of reducing the effects of blue light on our eyes is by wearing computer glasses. These glasses are designed with lenses that have a yellow tint, which reduces the amount of blue light that enters our eyes.
Top Tips for Eye Health for Gamers
- 1. Take Regular Breaks – Taking regular breaks throughout your gaming session can help reduce eye fatigue. Try to follow the 20/20/20 rule, which means taking a 20-second break every 20 minutes to focus on something 20 feet away.
- 2. Adjust Your Screen Settings – Making the necessary adjustments to your screen settings can help reduce eye strain. Play around with the brightness, contrast, and font size until you find the optimal settings for your eyes.
- 3. Invest in Computer Glasses – As mentioned earlier, computer glasses can help reduce the effects of blue light on our eyes by filtering out the glare from digital devices.
- 4. Keep Your Eyes Lubricated – Using eye drops or artificial tears can help keep your eyes lubricated, especially if you suffer from dry eyes.
- 5. Get Regular Eye Exams – Make it a point to get your eyes checked regularly. Regular eye exams can help detect any eye-related problems early on.
By following these tips, you can reduce the strain on your eyes and maintain good eye health while gaming. Remember, taking care of your eyes should be a top priority, and with the right precautions, you can enjoy your gaming experience while keeping your eyes safe.
Most wanted in Hoya Vision:
- Hoya Identification Chart
- What brand lenses does Costco use?
- Which lens is better Alcon or Johnson and Johnson?
- Should eyeglasses cover eyebrows?
- Why is the coating coming off my glasses?
- Which is better Varilux or Zeiss?
- What does +0.25 mean on an eye test?
- Hoya Lens Vs Zeiss
- Are Costas ANSI Z87 approved?
- Eyezen Lenses Vs Progressive